E85 even an option?

• So I picked up the Slingshot after the recalls were done, and the tech there loved the turbo set up. He said there are only maybe 3 or 4 with forced induction in town. He then said that it wouldn't take much to get the SS to run on E85...anyone really investigate if this is an option with an aftermarket E85 kit? From my research, it looks like the SS doesn't have the ability to detect the difference so it wouldn't run right...wouldn't an E85 kit change that? Just curious. I would be interested in making the switch.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• No the SS cant run on e-85.

And you are correct if it could run on it you could really keep detonation down with the turbo systems. But it would require the fuel system to know what was being pushed through the lines. Unfortunately we have no such capability.

Wouldn't a third party ECM/ECU alleviate this? Sensor, ECU, Fuel pump, and bigger injectors? Maybe an upgrade of the fuel line?

• You can run E-85 in the Slingshot, BUT without a tune the fueling will not be correct. Also, I am not sure if the fuel pump and fittings in the rest of the fuel system are E85 compatible. If they are not, the seals will start to rot because of the alcohol content on the E85 if it is ran longterm. The stoichiometric air/fuel for regular gasoline is 14.7:1 and for E-85 it is 9.8:1, so you will need to inject a lot more fuel into the cylinders to get your air/fuel correct. Also, E85 has less energy density per gallon than gasoline, so your fuel mileage will go down. All that being said, typically we can pick up atleast 10% power at the wheels switching to E85 from regular gasoline, as it is much less prone to detonation and allows a significant change in static timing under boost. Although if I am going to add something, I would go with water/meth since it nets around the same power gains, keeps the intake valves and cylinders looking almost new and is easier to deal with if you are traveling and can not find E85, but that is another discussion.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

• You can run E-85 in the Slingshot, BUT without a tune the fueling will not be correct. Also, I am not sure if the fuel pump and fittings in the rest of the fuel system are E85 compatible. If they are not, the seals will start to rot because of the alcohol content on the E85 if it is ran longterm. The stoichiometric air/fuel for regular gasoline is 14.7:1 and for E-85 it is 9.8:1, so you will need to inject a lot more fuel into the cylinders to get your air/fuel correct. Also, E85 has less energy density per gallon than gasoline, so your fuel mileage will go down. All that being said, typically we can pick up atleast 10% power at the wheels switching to E85 from regular gasoline, as it is much less prone to detonation and allows a significant change in static timing under boost. Although if I am going to add something, I would go with water/meth since it nets around the same power gains, keeps the intake valves and cylinders looking almost new and is easier to deal with if you are traveling and can not find E85, but that is another discussion.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

This was kind of the info I was looking for. I am really interested in seeing what Bob as to say too.

With the cost of E85 being around $2/gallon or less, and Premium going for about $2.60...the cost to fuel consumption would be a wash. So getting the extra protection after getting the proper tune is what makes me more intrigued about it.

• The problem with E85 is that it can be hard to find in some areas. So if you're traveling & your ECU is tuned for E85 & now you can't find it, then what...?!

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• The problem with E85 is that it can be hard to find in some areas. So if you're traveling & your ECU is tuned for E85 & now you can't find it, then what...?!

Is it pretty limited down there in New Mexico? Seems like it's pretty available all over Colorado. As much as I want to take a couple of long road trips...I don't see it happening any time soon.

• Is it pretty limited down there in New Mexico? Seems like it's pretty available all over Colorado. As much as I want to take a couple of long road trips...I don't see it happening any time soon.

There are 2 gas stations that sell it in Las Cruces (but they don't always have it), 2 in Santa Fe & 1 in Albuquerque. Info is from e85locator.net

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• very late reply on this but didnt know if I should start a new thread or just reply to this (sorry if I needed to start a new one).

So I've been searching for this stuff for the SS everywhere. I guess it answers it, the SS with stock ECU/Fuel lines/pump and injectors just cant handle the E. That really sucks though because where I live (CA) there is E stations every 2 miles, lol. It's kinda nuts TBH.

My previous car I converted to E-85 (Evo9) and gained 80WHP by re-tunning the ECU with 1 knock on road safe tune at 11.5 AFR (I had it a little rich up top). MPG was pure shit though... 14MPG LOL!!!!
    If the SS had the fuel lines compatible with E85, honestly the rest is really easy, fuel pump, injectors and tune, insta power (if FI then significant power).

This does bum me that we have to go meth for that extra oomph, having the alchy in me for so long, I don't want to go anything else lol

to add: the e-85 gas stations here, i only used propel station and from all other evo owners (we had something cool to test the octane levels) the e-85 was rating at 110 octane. from 91 gas to 110... yeah i'll take that! at only $2.20 a gallon vs 3.39 for gas

• Why? Forget about cost per gallon, how about figure the cost per mile for both and then the cost to the enviroment to make.

• Why? Forget about cost per gallon, how about figure the cost per mile for both and then the cost to the enviroment to make.

Oh I'm not saying it's good for the environment, hell it could be or it couldn't, I really didn't care at that level... lol (I'm a horrible person!)

I was in love with the power gains and the other benefits that the Evo owners were seeing (power being the big one) :D

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app