LATEST RECALL INFO. YOU WILL RECEIVE A CUSTOM VERSION OF THIS LETTER SOON IF YOU ARE AFFECTED.

• That certainly is a pile of Loctite on the axle. With that much Loctite so close to the needle bearing it would compromise the life of the bearing especially if some of it weaped into the bearing which is possible with the marginal seal on the bearing itself. Axles are easily damaged when removing them with Loctite on the splines, which my understanding is recommended by Polaris, Polaris provides an axle cap to place on the end of the axle for a pulley puller to push against to remove the pulley. Back yard mechanics many times try to drive the axle out with a hammer. The threaded end of the axle is quite soft and even with the Polaris supplied cap it could get damaged with such an extreme amount of Loctite.
    Now back to my original question, "how did the Loctite cause the problem?" I still can't see how the Loctite can cause your lose of power when you corner to the right. I think there is still more to the story. Keep us informed. Thanks!

You're scaring me mniron. ;( I was hoping that was the issue. We will find out soon. ?(

• Don't know too much about this, but my axle was replaced (along with most everything else on my sling) last fall.

It took two of them with hammers, and a propane torch to get it out. I had a panic attack just watching them.

Then they worked on my ball joints with hammers and a propane torch. Lower right they couldn't get out, so they sent me home, and ordered a new control arm. That was not a good day.

That would not be a good day! I would have been cringing also. Doesn't sound like they had the proper tools on hand. I think many of these SlingShot axles have suffered the same fate. As far as the ball joints go, replacement control arms come with the ball joints mounted in them and is most likely less expensive to replace complete than spending any labor on removal. But if they where using a hammers and a torch to separate the spindle knuckle from the ball joint, they didn't have the proper tools or the education to work your SlingShot. With that said I would never take my SlingShot to them.

• You're scaring me mniron. ;( I was hoping that was the issue. We will find out soon. ?(

Not trying to scare you, just trying to understand and would be very helpful for all here to learn from this. One of my concerns for you is that if they drove the axle out with hammers to break the pulley loose instead of using a pulley puller, then the wheel hub bearing has been compromised and I would request it to be replaced regardless. Because the threaded end of the axle is so light it is very possible that a pulley puller could have damaged the end of the axle.

• Not trying to scare you, just trying to understand and would be very helpful for all here to learn from this. One of my concerns for you is that if they drove the axle out with hammers to break the pulley loose instead of using a pulley puller, then the wheel hub bearing has been compromised and I would request it to be replaced regardless. Because the threaded end of the axle is so light it is very possible that a pulley puller could have damaged the end of the axle.

I'm going to have to go by there in the morning and see just what is going on. The tech that is working on it will be in then.

• That would not be a good day! I would have been cringing also. Doesn't sound like they had the proper tools on hand. I think many of these SlingShot axles have suffered the same fate. As far as the ball joints go, replacement control arms come with the ball joints mounted in them and is most likely less expensive to replace complete than spending any labor on removal. But if they where using a hammers and a torch to separate the spindle knuckle from the ball joint, they didn't have the proper tools or the education to work your SlingShot. With that said I would never take my SlingShot to them.

No, not going back. They hired a friend of mine in sales, so I gave them a chance. But, after pulling a Fred Flintstone on my front suspension, never again. Hammers and torches are okay, but after hammers and torches on my front suspension and FAILING, then send me home, is a crime. I am quite fond of steering.

The correct place for me to go is Tri-County, noted two posts up, and even earlier. Unfortunately 3 hours away, but I just have to deal with that. Tri-County is, I think, the first dealer in the universe to solve the mushy brake problem. @DocG and I came home smiling like pigs despite single digit temperatures and a bit of snow. Tight brakes rock.

• Don't know what their service rep is with Slingshots, but I liked Unionville Kawasaki/Suzuki when I was on two wheels and went there to buy my 2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650 and for service. They now sell Slingshots, too. I always enjoyed the ride there and various routes back (especially when the routes varied west towards the Blue Ridge mountain and Shenandoah Valley roads).
    I'm finally scheduled to have East Texas Power Sports in Lufkin, TX replace my swing-arm this week (jury duty allowing) and then I have my Hahn turbo install to look forward to! I'm slowly getting my music system adjusted. looks like I'll replace the Boss MC900B Bluetooth amp as it just doesn't have enough power for an open cockpit installation, so I plan on installing my Clarion XC2410 amp after all. I've also learned I want some way of controlling both Balance and Fade across the four speakers, so I need to explore either a better Bluetooth setup or installing a head unit.

• Got a call from dealer Friday and they told me the parts for my recall were scheduled to ship April 7th.
    Anyone on the west coast have the recall done yet?

Looks like I will be waiting until after TX to have the recall done....

• I'm going to have to go by there in the morning and see just what is going on. The tech that is working on it will be in then.

Ok. Got by shop yesterday and axle is in. Tech said bearing was good just had a really hard time getting it out. Didn't use hammers or torches though. Was raining hard all day and they were not able take her out for a test run. Of course it's beautiful today and they are closed. Supposed to be raining Monday and Tuesday so it looks like I won't be riding till Wednesday. I need a relatively dry road to make sure the new axle solves the problem. Will update then.

• Got a call from dealer Friday and they told me the parts for my recall were scheduled to ship April 7th.
    Anyone on the west coast have the recall done yet?

Looks like I will be waiting until after TX to have the recall done....

I live in NM - recall was done in January...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Ok. Got by shop yesterday and axle is in. Tech said bearing was good just had a really hard time getting it out. Didn't use hammers or torches though. Was raining hard all day and they were not able take her out for a test run. Of course it's beautiful today and they are closed. Supposed to be raining Monday and Tuesday so it looks like I won't be riding till Wednesday. I need a relatively dry road to make sure the new axle solves the problem. Will update then.

Well that was good news, except the weather. Looking forward to an update.

• @Tripod Thanks... my dealer must just suck

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Not necessarily. My understanding (which could be totally wrong ;( ) is that Polaris was sending out replacements to dealers based upon the volume of sales of the dealerships. So, larger, high volume dealers were getting replacements faster than say, a "ma & pa" dealership selling 2 units per year. Kind of makes sense in that the maximum # of Slingshots get repaired in the shortest amount of time. Whether or not this plan actually happened, I can't say. We do know that the (slower) titanium swingarms are taking longer for dealerships to obtain...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Not necessarily. My understanding (which could be totally wrong ;( ) is that Polaris was sending out replacements to dealers based upon the volume of sales of the dealerships. So, larger, high volume dealers were getting replacements faster than say, a "ma & pa" dealership selling 2 units per year. Kind of makes sense in that the maximum # of Slingshots get repaired in the shortest amount of time. Whether or not this plan actually happened, I can't say. We do know that the (slower) titanium swingarms are taking longer for dealerships to obtain...

Ha if they are only selling a couple of Slingshots a year they do suck don't they?? Just kidding.

My recalls were done in January in TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• got a surprise call from my dealer Friday ~10 AM stating parts were in (1 week early !) for my recall. left work early to drop the sling off. Took them overnight to get all 4 recalls completed but when i picked the Sling up on Saturday afternoon MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I thought my brakes were OK but now they are fantastic! Also used to have a whine noise at 28-30 MPH and it is almost completely gone!

Happy Happy Joy Joy

HHJJ Slap.jpg

Texas Hill Country were we come!

• Apparently the mother ship misleads to their dealers, as easily as they do their customers. Part of Email from my Service Mgr:
    hey dee i dont know why its taking so long they keep extending my arrival date...here is the page direct from my dealer site so you know im not making this up.....the slingshot rep
    was here last week and got an ear full from jeff as well because we have been waiting not only for our customers but our stock units that need to be sold and we cant because of these recalls.....i know you are getting impatient trust me i have every single one of our slingshot customers grilling me constantly and all i can do is go off what they tell me from the east coast but our rep said they are trying to get us these asap

I am taking it in next Tues. for the brake recall- they are beyond suck. He has a master cylinder on hand if recall parts don't work. I have hit the point that I don't particularly give a rats' ass about the swing-arm, for awhile. It appears, after 14000++ miles, it does not have the casting defect. If it does- it is on Polaris' nickel, as they notified me of the issue, failed to make parts available, and did not issue a Stop Ride. They brakes are another issue- they are beyond double pumping. I won't take anymore twisties. My SS is no longer fun, in her current condition. Mother Ship Sucks- they had an independent survey- a lot on quality, form, fit, function, and I let them have it. It is riding season, and I want to have fun!