New member meet and greet

• @Heavenboundx4
    Welcome to the most dysfunctional family in the world. You will not find better people anywhere.

As for your purchase the best advise I can give you is go in with your eyes wide open> The slingshot can be modified / molded to your liking and there is an aftermarket part for almost every piece. Take it from me cuz I have changed or modified just about every part. We have some great vendors and a multitude of very talented people her to help you.

If you can find something used that you like with many of the mods already done you will save some money, If you want to have the satisfaction of doing it yourself look for a base model.

Be safe
    Make sure you joins us at as many events as possible - you will not regret it.

And most importantly send @Ross pictures for our annual calendar

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Thank you for the warm welcomes. Trust me, I come from a Gold Wing Forum and I can handle the BS being tossed back and forth.

Mine and my wife’s biggest concern is buying a used one and getting one that has been beat to hell but the buyer says it runs like new. A month later I’m broke down somewhere.

I know nothing about the quality of the motor. For instance, a gentleman I know has his original 1994 Goldwing with 640,000 on the OD. Just change the oil he says and it will run forever.

How many miles are on yours? What is the biggest pain about owning them, besides not enough mods and what would you do differently, if you had know in advance, after buying your first one that a new buyer should do?

• I can tell you from experience I would have bought the most stripped down one I could get and save yourself a ton of money replacing stuff making it your own. Of course if your stupid as me I am modding things I have already modded before.....once or twice ;( But ya can’t find something more fun to blow your money on :thumbsup:

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• A lot of it depends on whether or not YOU want to do the tinkering or PAY to have the tinkering done. My Gold Wings had Tulsa Windshields and I have and F4 5+ tinted on the Slingshot. I personally have added minimal 'mod' and enjoy the ride as it is. Do have one friend who paid $20,000 (used) and has put another $40,000 in aftermarket mods....the SKY is the limit.

• A lot of it depends on whether or not YOU want to do the tinkering or PAY to have the tinkering done. My Gold Wings had Tulsa Windshields and I have and F4 5+ tinted on the Slingshot. I personally have added minimal 'mod' and enjoy the ride as it is. Do have one friend who paid $20,000 (used) and has put another $40,000 in aftermarket mods....the SKY is the limit.

:00008356:

• Welcome @Heavenboundx4 to the best Slingshot forum (maybe forum period) out here in cyberspace! Great guys and gals, and most all are willing to help with about anything you would have problems or questions about. As for the Slingshot engine, it's an earlier version of GM's 2.4L Ecotec engine. This engine is not the direct injected one that is in many of the smaller GM vehicles today, but is similar in an earlier respect. Use quality Syn oil, a decent filter, and expect it to do very well for a very long time. Leave it naturally aspirated, and it should give you a long life of service. They are not a Honda. Honda does make good stuff, but they remind me of a sewing machine. They run smooth, and reliable. The Slingshot is more like a go cart handling muscle car to me. They can be quirky, and if you expect it to be like a Goldwing or a BMW, you might be disappointed. But that's not what they are.

What they are is fun! Quick, handle great, and drive unlike anything out there! Ride is nice (even stock), and goes around corners like it's on rails! Sportbikes have their hands full trying to keep you in sight if on a twisty road. Other than that, I will say this.... if you hate attention you need to pass on this! You will get honked at, waved at, yelled at (in a good way), and people will video you driving it or take your picture. Just remember not to let it go to your head, it's the Slingshot that is the celebrity...

My wife and I bought ours (central Indiana) May 22, 2016. We are just shy of 26,000 miles on it now. We've been into northern Georgia 3 times with it, and many times in TN/NC. We've ran the Dragon at least 8 times in it. And will plan to be in Maggie Valley the week of Memorial Day during the rally again this year.

I would look for one that is used, low miles, maybe a few mods. I've seen some nice ones in the $17-$18,000 range with 2,000-8,000 miles (most were 2016). If I were looking, that's what I'd be hunting for.

• Bill, I’ve seen the list of mods you have had done, and the price of them. I think your pill is some what north of those amounts! Just sayin

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Sadly no one will ever know how much I spent on my Sling - I always said I was gonna run the numbers but I’m afraid I might give myself a stroke :00008172: I’ve only spent as much as the next mod costs and that’s my story and I’m stickin to it !!!

• Sadly no one will ever know how much I spent on my Sling - I always said I was gonna run the numbers but I’m afraid I might give myself a stroke :00008172: I’ve only spent as much as the next mod costs and that’s my story and I’m stickin to it !!!

1 +1=2. 5000+12000=17000, should I go on?✌

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Welcome to the Nut House @Heavenboundx4. If you find a used Slingshot you are interested in please take pictures and post mileage on the Forum. You will get plenty of responses if it is a good buy. It is almost impossible to tell if the original owner ran the heck out of it or not, but probably would not worry to much if the engine is stock.

• You're right down the road! @sideseatdriver and I, @Lorge, @Bubblehead, and a few others. Oh, and the good folks at DDM. If you do FB, look up Slingshots of the Carolinas. I'll also go tag you in another event that goes down next weekend.

• Sadly no one will ever know how much I spent on my Sling - I always said I was gonna run the numbers but I’m afraid I might give myself a stroke :00008172: I’ve only spent as much as the next mod costs and that’s my story and I’m stickin to it !!!

I'd say "an arm and a leg," but its probably only more like a foot.....